Thursday, June 14, 2007

Annual Summer Picnic

The best part of our annual summer picnic is I get the whole day off and get paid for a full 8 hours of work. Woohoo! This is something we get to do every year, all we have to do is put in an appearance at the picnic and we get paid for the whole day.
It was a pretty nice day. Unfortunately, Tom had to get up early to help take the scouts to a special scout camp up at Mirror Lake. They were suppose to leave at 6 this morning, but as usually happens with most church functions nothing happens on time! They got out late, which means that he really had to hurry to get back in time for the picnic, but he did! We got to the picnic just in time for us to get our pictures taken & to get in line for lunch. We had hamburgers, hotdogs, KFC chicken (of course) and all the fixins'.
At most of our picnics we usually have a bunch of carnival rides. This is a lot of fun for the kids, but for those of us that don't have any of those yet, it's just the excuse we need to leave early. After lunch Tom, Tammie (who was there because she workes in the IS department for the same company), & me took a little walk around the place we were at. This year the picnic was held at Wheeler Farm. Being a farm (kind of), there were animals there. I was able to find them with my acute sense of smell. It's not hard to mistake the smell of cows once you've experienced it. It took me back to my youth (flash backs...yeah!). We also took a walk around the rest of their property. It was nice to get out and take a little walk. I really enjoyed it!
The past couple of years my company has been doing a fund raiser for JDRF, this is for Diabetes. This year at the picnic, they raised money for that cause by having a raffle drawing (which we bought a few tickets for) & they also did a dunk tank. Everyone had the opportunity to nominate people to be in the dunk tank. People would then have the opportunity to pay to throw balls at the dunk take to get them very wet. It's a fun way to raise money. Everyone is always up for getting our co-workers wet!
We didn't stay much for the dunk tank though, just enough to see Dave totally soaked! There wasn't really a way to top that so we took off (hehehe).
The rest of the day we spent most of the time relaxing and hanging out (otherwise known as sleeping). I was also able to find a sub for my primary class so I can go to Mom & Dads house this weekend. I wasn't suppose to have to. The other teachers of my class were suppose to teach, but they had their baby early......so yeah me! Luckily I was able to find someone on my first call!
Well, time to go to bed. I still have a day of work left before the week is over. It was nice having a day off in the middle!

No comments: