Sunday, March 14, 2010

Yokohama China Town



On Saturday, Tom and I decided we needed to go on a road trip. We'd been here a couple of weeks and had really only seen the local area. I wanted to see some historical sites instead of just shopping areas. There is only so much window shopping I can do, I've never been much of a shopper. Unless I have money burning a whole in my pocket, which hardly ever happens except on my birthday.

We had this whole plan of where to go. Unfortunately, when we got up it was beautiful outside except for the crazy wind. The trip Tom had planned included a fair amount of walking and a boat ride. Not something you want to do on a windy day. So, we tried to think about another option of somewhere we could still go, but somewhere it wouldn't ruin the trip with wind. So, we took the train to Yokohama. Of course we had to stop at the big electric store (that they call a camera store). It says it's a camera store, but it has everything from computers to watches. Of course we stopped at the camera floor and let him salivate over the expensive camera equipment.

Afterwards we took another short train ride to China Town in another area of Yokohama. Tom and I thought it interesting that no matter where you go in the world, there's always a China town. We walked all around China town and had lunch in a little restaurant there. The food was really good, Tom thought the egg drop soup there was the best he had ever had before. I have to agree with him. There were cool stalls all over the place that I had a lot of fun walking around and looking at. We also wandered across a Temple in the middle of China Town. It was really cool! They had incense burning and the ceiling was very ornate.

Afterwards we wandered over to a park alongside the harbor. It was beautiful. There were a lot of people there enjoying the weather. There were also a lot of people with the pet dogs. We walked through the park and enjoyed the beautiful scenery and people watching. There were also birds flying everywhere. It was very entertaining and gorgeous. We also stumbled across a street performer in the middle of the park. He was absolutely amazing. He seemed to be very amusing too. Although, we wouldn't know because we couldn't understand him. But he had tons of personality and was very amusing to watch. We watched his entire hour performance, which included juggling things that were on fire.

It was an amazing day! Lots of fun had by all!

6 comments:

Tom said...

This has been such a great trip. Japan is awesome. It's so fun getting lost with you.

Danae said...

I love hearing all about your adventures! I am so glad you are enjoying Japan! I just pretend I am there with you in every post!

Miriam said...

What a fun sounding day!

Unknown said...

Awesome, awesome! I could use some egg drop soup right now!

Tara said...

I agree with Ashley's comment about your skinniness. Your legs look like they go on forever in that top picture. Did you miss Jake when you saw all the people walking their dogs. I love China Town. I've had some good Egg Drop soup so I can only imagine how good it was.

Carole said...

I"m THRILLED that you and Tom are half way around the world really having some amazing experiences! Keep the fun posts coming!