Saturday, September 19, 2009

My Parents Visit

We just had our first anniversary here in Washington. During that time, we have blessed enough to have some visitors. My girlfriends came to see us after we had been here only a month. Tom's parents visited us last January. We were also able to she Shaun & Alicia when Tom's cousin Carolyn got married last fall. Since we moved here we've had my parents visit scheduled. Originally, they wanted to come the same weekend my friends were coming. Because of the small apartment we were moving into and the limited time we would have, we decided this was not the best idea. So, they scheduled the following the following Labor Day Weekend instead. I have been looking forward to this visit now for months!
My parents arrived on Monday afternoon, Aug 31st and stayed through Sunday morning May 6th. During that time, we had the opportunity to show my parents around our town, show them the new house we are trying to purchase, and gave my parents a couple of days to take a drive to the Olympic National Park and then to see the famous Forks, WA (which my Mom specifically loved!).

There were several things that really stand out in my mind of their visit here. First is our trip to our new house. Their visit here coincided with our inspection on the house. Tom and I both wanted to be present for this, so I invited my parents along so they could see the house before they returned to Utah. They seemed to like the house and the inspection went pretty good, with just a few things we asked to be repaired. We are suppose to close at the end of the month. We'll let you know how that goes and if it actually happens. Trying not to get too excited until it actually happens.

On Friday Tom of course was at work all day. Here in the town we live in, there is a cool set of trails that run through the entire town. Because this is Washington, we have lots of trees....so you can't even tell you are in the town. It's a beautiful walk and one that Jake loves. So Mom, Dad, and I decided to take Jake on a walk. It was a beautiful day so we all enjoyed ourselves, including the dog the got lots of sniffing done. We then headed over to one of our favorite places, "Central Market". It is a huge grocery store with lot of fun things that we love to hang out at. Most people may think that we are huge dorks for hanging out at a grocery store, but it's a lot of fun. They have a bulk food section that is amazing, a seafood and produce section that is unbelievable (they actually have live crab swimming in tanks), plus a deli section that is as big as a gym. My Mom said she was extremely jealous.

On Saturday night, Tom and I took my Dad to a local restaurant called "The Boat Shed" that we like. It's a cute little spot that sits right on the water. In good weather you can even eat on the deck and look out on the water. However, because it was a little chilly we ate inside. Like always it was delicious and we all enjoyed dinner!

My parents and I left early Sunday morning. I decided to hitch a ride with them so I could see some family and friends. I'll talk about that in my next blog! Thanks for coming to visit Mom and Dad. Come back any time!

3 comments:

Tom said...

We love having visitors. I also hope we get the house. Right now things are looking up but we are keeping our fingers crossed.

I can't wait to hear about the trip with your parents. Get on it!

Tara said...

I can't believe that you have been in Washington a year. I was jealous when I heard Mom and Dad were going to visit but it made it better when they said they were going to bring you back with them. Then I Ashley said that she was going to visit and I got jealous all over again. I really want to come.

Miriam said...

It was a great visit - thanks for being such wonderful hosts!